SEXUAL DIMORPHISM IN BLOOD PRESSURE REGULATION AND HYDROSALINE HOMEOSTASIS: ANGIOSTENSYNERGIC AND VASOPRESYNERGIC SYSTEMS INVOLVEMENT
Cardiovascular diseases are the leading cause of deaths worldwide, affecting both men and women. In recent years, clinical and experimental data have shown sex differences in blood pressure (BP) regulation, as well as in the incidence and progression of heart and circulatory diseases; however; most of the studies have been conducted in males, assuming that males and females are similar differing only in the magnitude of the response. The purpose of this work is to study in more detail the mechanisms underlying sex differences in blood pressure and hydroelectrolytic homeostasis regulation, assessing the relative contribution of sex hormones and sex chromosome complement on sexually dimorphic angiotensinergic and vasopresinergic systems. Understanding in more detail the sources of physiological differences between males and females in the regulation of blood pressure and hydroelectrolytic homeostasis may offer important insights into designing improved oriented sex-tailored therapeutic treatments in the future.
Thesis and scholarship advisor
PhD Thesis Advisor, Lihue Gonzalez, Faculty of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences; National University of Cordoba (UNC). “Sexual dimorphism in the development de 2K1C renovascular hypertension and in the antidiuretic and pressor vasopresinergic response”. Advisors: Ximena Caeiro and Laura Vivas. Resolution N° 169 (February 2020-present).
-Doctoral thesis and thesis defended among 2018 and 2020
PhD Thesis Advisor; Florencia María Dadam, Faculty of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences; National University of Cordoba. “Participation of the sex chromosome complement (XX / XY) and gonadal hormones in cardiovascular sexual dimorphism: role of vasoconstrictor / vasodilator components of the renin angiotensin system”. PhD Advisor´s: Laura Vivas and Ximena Caeiro. May 2013-february 2019; Qualification: ten (10).
Biology student Thesis Advisor; Lihue Gonzalez, Faculty of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences; National University of Cordoba. Title: “Vasopressinergic Sexual dimorphism: Role of sex chromosome complement and sex hormones”, October 2017 – August 2018; Qualification: ten (10).
– FONCyT. PICT-2018-03361.
– FONCyT. PICT-2016-0299.
– Subsidio Fundación Roemmers
Peer-reviewed publications (last 5 years).
- Porcari CY, Debarba LK, Amigone JL, Caeiro XE, Reis LC, Cunha TM, Mecawi AS, Elias LL, Antunes-Rodriguez J, Vivas L, Godino A. Brain osmo-sodium sensitive channels and the onset of sodium appetite. Horm Behav 2020 Feb; 118:10458.
- Porcari CY, Araújo IG, Urzedo-Rodrigues L, De Luca LA Jr, Menani JV, Caeiro XE, Imboden H, Antunes-Rodrigues J, Reis LC, Vivas L, Godino A, Mecawi AS. Whole body sodium depletion modifies AT1 mRNA expression and serotonin content in the dorsal raphe nucleus. J Neuroendocrinol. 2019 Feb 25:e12703. doi: 10.1111/jne.12703.
- Dadam F, Zádor F, Caeiro X, Szűcs E, Erdei AI, Samavati R, Gáspár R, Borsodi A, Vivas L. The effect of increased NaCl intake on rat brain endogenous μ-opioid receptor signaling. J Neuroendocrinol. 2018 Feb 27. doi: 10.1111/jne.12585.
- Dadam FM, Cisternas CD, Macchione AF, Godino A, Antunes-Rodrigues J, Cambiasso MJ, Vivas LM, Caeiro XE. Sex chromosome complement involvement in angiotensin receptor sexual dimorphism. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2017 May 15;447:98-105.
- Marchese NA, Paz MC, Caeiro X, Dadam FM, Baiardi G, Perez MF, Bregonzio C. Angiotensin II AT1 receptors mediate neuronal sensitization and sustained blood pressure response induced by a single injection of amphetamine. Neuroscience. 2017 Jan 6;340:521-529.
- Margatho LO, Porcari C, Macchione A, Da Silva Souza GD, Caeiro XE, Antunes-Rodrigues J, Vivas L, and Godino A. Temporal dissociation between sodium depletion and sodium appetite appearance: Involvement of inhibitory and stimulatory signals.”. Neuroscience. 2015 Jun 25;297:78-88.
- Macchione A, Beas C, Dadam F, Caeiro X, Godino A, Ponce L, Amigone J, and Vivas L. Early free access to hypertonic NaCl solution induces a long-term effect on drinking, brain cell activity and gene expression of adult rat offspring.” Neuroscience. 2015 July 9;298:120-36.
- Cisternas CD, Tome K, Caeiro XE, Dadam FM, García-Segura LM, Cambiasso MJ. Sex chromosome complement determines sex differences in aromatase expression and regulation in the stria terminalis and anterior amígdala of the developing mouse brain. Mol Cell Endocrinol. 2015, Oct 15:414:99-110.
- Godino A, Caeiro XE, Cambiasso MJ, Vivas L. Fluid balance and baroreflex response: neuromodulators, neural circuits and sex chromosome complement influences. Review article. Revista de Farmacología de Chile. Noviembre 2015.
- Vivas L, Dadam FM, Caeiro XE. Sex differences in body fluid homeostasis: Sex chromosome complement influence on bradycardic baroreflex response and sodium depletion induced neural activity. Physiol Behav. 2015, Dec 1;152(Pt B):416-21.